The Letter J Gift Exchange That Almost Ruined My Christmas
Every family has that one tradition nobody outside the family understands.
Ours is a letter based gift exchange. Draw a letter from a hat, buy something that starts with it. My sister once pulled Q and somehow produced a quilted throw blanket like it was nothing. I pulled J and stood there completely blank.
Jacket. Journal. That's it. That's all my brain offered me for a solid two minutes. I actually considered faking a family emergency to get out of it.
Here's what nobody tells you about a rule like this the first time you hit it. It feels like a wall. You stand in front of the letter and wait for a gift idea to just appear, and when it doesn't, the whole exercise starts to feel impossible, almost unfair, like you got handed the hard mode difficulty setting while everyone else coasted.
I spent that first night making a list that went nowhere. Jewelry felt like giving up. A jump rope felt like buying for someone's fitness goals instead of an actual person. At one point I genuinely typed "gift card" into a search bar just to make the discomfort stop.
The letter wasn't the problem. My approach was.
I kept starting with the category and working backward to a person, which is exactly the wrong order. The letter only tells you what to shop with. It says nothing about who you're shopping for.
So I flipped it.
My cousin lives for her skincare routine, candles, rollers, the whole ritual of it, so a jade roller and gua sha set fit her instantly, and it genuinely looked more thoughtful sitting in its gift box than anything I'd have grabbed off a generic list.
My mother in law drinks tea like it's a religion, so a jasmine green tea and infuser set felt less like a letter based gift and more like something I'd have bought her anyway, letter or no letter.
And for my youngest niece, who never travels anywhere without her entire jewelry collection somehow spilling out of a plastic sandwich bag, a proper travel jewelry case solved a problem she'd been complaining about for actual years.
Every time I get stuck on a letter like this now, working through gifts that start with the letter J person first, category second, has never once let me down since.
Here's the Part That Surprised Me
None of those three gifts screamed J at first glance. That turned out to be exactly why they worked.
Nobody actually wants a present that feels chosen because of a letter draw. They want something that feels chosen because of them, one that just happened to land on the right letter this time around.
We still do the letter exchange every year. It's still the hardest part of our holiday planning. And somehow, every single year, it ends up producing the most thoughtful gifts in the entire pile, precisely because the constraint forces you to actually think about the person instead of grabbing whatever's easiest.
Turns out the rule wasn't the obstacle. It was the whole point.
You may also like: What are the best gifts that start with the letter O?
(This article contains affiliate links. If you purchase through them, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.)

Post a Comment