The Budget Bar Stools That Look Expensive
I almost didn't buy these stools because they felt too cheap on paper. Under fifty dollars each, no fancy brand name, nothing about the listing screamed quality. I bought them anyway because my kitchen island had been embarrassingly bare for months, and I figured if they looked bad I could always return them.
They didn't look bad. If anything, more than one person has asked where I got them assuming they cost triple what I actually paid.
Here's what I've learned about picking budget stools that don't look like it after living with mine for almost a year now.
Skip anything with a glossy plastic finish trying to fake wood grain. It's the fastest giveaway that a stool is cheap, and honestly, real wood at a budget price often looks better than fake wood at a mid range price. I went looking through a real budget bar stools list before buying, mostly to avoid exactly this mistake after seeing one too many stools online that looked fine in photos and cheap in person.
I ended up with a set of Amazon Basics Solid Wood Saddle Seat Stools. Real wood, simple saddle shape, nothing trying too hard to look fancy, which honestly ended up being exactly why they look good. Sometimes simple beats ornate when ornate is being done on a budget.
For my sister's smaller apartment kitchen, she went with the Amazon Basics Wooden Stool with Backrest instead, since she wanted something to lean against during longer dinners. Same brand, same honest approach to materials, just built for a different need.
The real test came when my mother in law visited and asked, completely unprompted, where I got my "new dining set." I told her the actual price and she didn't believe me for a solid minute.
What I've noticed after nearly a year of daily use is that the joints haven't loosened, the finish hasn't chipped, and nothing wobbles the way I half expected a budget stool to eventually start doing. Turns out expensive and well made aren't actually the same thing, they just get marketed like they are.
If you're furnishing a kitchen island on an actual budget, don't assume looking good and spending a lot are the same requirement. Sometimes they're not even related at all.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: What's the real difference between a bar stool and a counter stool?
(This article contains affiliate links. If you purchase through them, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.)

Post a Comment